Monday, July 25, 2011

One Month

Today marks my being in San Francisco for one month. So much has changed for me, and I have grown more in this month than I ever though possible. I know I have not been blogging, like, at all, which is due to a couple reasons, the first being that I cannot for the life of me find the cord that connects my camera with my computer so I can upload all my pictures. The second reason is that I am really busy between three classes at my fashion school, and online course for my high school, violin, summer reading and a heck of a lot of family commitments. I just haven't had the time, and I am exhausted when I finally have a break. I still have work to do before I can sleep, but I just wanted to update you on the past month.

I have been humbled and it has been beautiful. In my humility, I have also been brought to personal responsibility and a new sense of independence, as well as learning how to ask for help. Through it all I have learned so much about who I am, and I have come to see myself as enough. I love the ways I've been shaped by this summer, and am so grateful for the lessons I have learned. This has by far been one of the most life changing summers of my life.

If you've been wondering at all about my day to day, I have classes four days a week, and these classes are far from those at high school. Rather than packing up text books and binders, I usually have my sketchbook, tracing paper, several pens, pencils, watercolors, colored pencils, scissors, pins and needles, fabric, journalism articles, my school ID, and my camera when I have room in my bag. I take the bus each way, and each of my classes is three hours long. Some days I have two classes, others I only have one. In the morning once off the bus I grab some coffee and a bagel, and dash to class. For lunch I have become a regular at a cute cafe with scrumptious paninis. After class I take the bus home, unless of course I have to go to the fabric store, which I frequent in quest of fabric for my sewing class or for samples for my design class. When I'm home I always have homework, whether that be visual research, design development for my collection, writing an article or reading one, finishing some sewing or putting together my final project. And I do more printing than ever. Seriously, I have to print a ridiculous amount of stuff. I've probably demolished half the Amazon. Then my family cooks dinner and eats and often times my cousin and I are responsible for making a delicious and chocolate dessert. Finally a couple more hours of work and facebook and off to bed I go.

I've learned I love designing. And while I love blogging and writing in my free time, I don't think I would ever want to be a journalist. There are far too many limits.

My best friend from New York, Alie, flew in and visited me this past weekend, which was great and I did all the tourist-y things I haven't had time for. I've also spent a couple weekends in San Jose and Santa Cruz. With only two weeks left I'm trying to squeeze in all the things I said I'd do, but haven't, all my final projects for my classes, finishing my summer reading, finishing my online class, seeing all my friends/family here, and preparing to leave (basically moving) and go back to school one week after I'm home. Oh yeah, and I have to take a ton of driving courses so I can get my license on time. Talk about crazy.

I promise that once I find my camera cord, and things slow down a little, I will be better about all this. It's also easier when I have my own computer. However, I will of course be focusing more on living my life rather than documenting it, because especially as of now, I just have so much to live for!

Hope all of you are doing well and keeping it classy:)
xoxo
Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment